USD 65.6046

0

EUR 72.6243

0

BRENT 58.8

-0.33

AI-92 42.31

0

AI-95 46.04

-0.03

AI-98 51.8

+0.04

Diesel 46.03

+0.01

7

BP Eager To Become The World Energy Merket Center

BP is in talks with Chinese petrochemical giant Sinopec on a joint venture

BP is in talks with Chinese petrochemical giant Sinopec on a joint venture.

BP is refusing to comment publicly on the talks, but a spokesman admitted "you don't have to be a rocket scientist" to realize China is a vital market. Well-placed sources confirmed Lord Browne had put forward various proposals to China's biggest producer of refined oil products and state officials about a tie-up.

Critical to any future deal is the attitude of the Beijing government, which still controls 80% of Sinopec through its parent group, China Petroleum and Chemical Corporation. The remaining 20% is listed in New York, Shanghai and Hong Kong. BP took a 2% stake at Sinopec's partial privatization in 2000 but sold out last year to take profits.
#bp