- Seadrill reports fourth quarter 2013 EBITDA* of US$768 million
- Seadrill reports fourth quarter 2013 net income of US$281 million and earnings per share of $0.49
- Seadrill increases the ordinary quarterly cash dividend by 3 cents to 98 cents per share
- Economic utilization for floaters was 94% in Q4 2013 in-line with 94% in Q3 2013
- Economic utilization for the jack-up fleet in Q4 2013 was 98% an increase from 97% in Q3 2013
- Seadrill Partners announces settlement agreement and 18 month contract extension for the West Aquarius with a total estimated revenue potential of US$337 million
- Total S.A. exercised their option with Seadrill Partners to convert the contract extension for the West Capella from 5 years to 3 years. As a result of this change in contract terms the dayrate has increased from US$580,000 per day to US$627,500 per day
- Seadrill executes a one year contract extension for the West Leda with ExxonMobil in Malaysia with a total estimated revenue potential of US$60 million
- Seadrill Limited sells the tender rig T-16 to Seadrill Partners for US$200 million
- North Atlantic Drilling completes private placement of NOK1.5 billion unsecured bond issue maturing in 2018
- Seadrill acquires high specification jack-up rig Prospector 3 for US$235 million
- Seadrill enters into a Heads of Agreement with Pemex for 5 potential jack-up contracts beginning in the first half of 2014. Cumulative duration of the contract is more than 30 rig years with a total revenue potential in excess of US$1.8 billion
- Seadrill Limited sells part of the semi-submersible rigs, West Leo and West Sirius, to Seadrill Partners financed with a US$456 million equity offering and intercompany loans
- North Atlantic Drilling completes private placement of US$600 million unsecured bond issue maturing 2019
- North Atlantic Drilling completes its initial public offering of 13,513,514 common shares and began trading on January 29, 2014 on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "NADL".
- Seadrill executes contract for four Jack-up units with Pemex in Mexico and establishes SeaMex, a 50/50 Joint Venture with Fintech Advisory Inc.
- Seadrill Partners completes US$1.8 billion Term Loan B and US$100 million senior secured revolving loan
- Seadrill is making progress in contract discussion for the West Saturn and West Jupiter and expects the units to commence attractive medium to long term contracts immediately after delivery from the yard.
- Orderbacklog excluding the Saturn and Jupiter discussions currently stands at US$20.2 billion
- From the effect of January 2, 2014, the financial results of Seadrill Partners LLC is likely to be deconsolidated from the financial results of Seadrill.
* EBITDA is defined as earnings before interest, depreciation and amortization equal to operating profit plus depreciation and amortization.
Consolidated financial information
Fourth quarter 2013 results
Consolidated revenues for the fourth quarter of 2013 were US$1,469 million compared to $1,280 million in the third quarter of 2013. The increase is primarily due to the West Tellus, West Auriga, West Vela, West Tucana and AOD III entering service and an increase in dayrate on the West Gemini.
Operating profit for the quarter was US$568 million compared to US$471 million in the preceding quarter. The increase is primarily a result of new rigs entering service and continued solid operational performance.
Net financial and other items for the quarter showed a loss of US$286 million compared to a loss of US$96 million in the previous quarter. The loss is primarily related to our share of the losses in the investment in Archer of US$185 million, which is mainly due to Archer's own non-cash impairment of goodwill and other long lived assets of US$430 million.
Income taxes for the fourth quarter were US$1 million, a decrease of US$59 million from the previous quarter.
Net income for the quarter was US$281 million representing basic and diluted earnings per share of $0.49 and $0.49, respectively.
As of December 31, 2013, total assets were US$26,300 million, an increase of US$1,321 million compared to September 30, 2013.
Total current assets increased to US$2,834 million from US$2,562 million over the course of the quarter, primarily driven by an increase in cash and marketable securities, offset by a decrease in restricted cash.
Total non-current assets increased to US$23,466 million from US$22,417 million primarily due to the inclusion of the final yard installments for the West Tellus, West Castor, and West Oberon and the acquisition of the West Titania (Prospector 3).
Total current liabilities decreased to US$3,825 million from US$5,639 million largely due to a decrease in short term debt and other current liabilities.
Long-term interest bearing debt increased to US$11,900 million from US$10,087 million over the course of the quarter and total net interest bearing debt increased to US$13,874 million from US$12,647 million. The increase is primarily due to the new US$1,750 million Sevan credit facility, the re-financing of the West Eminence and subsequent use of the freed up cash to pay yard installments.
Total equity increased to US$8,202 million from US$7,766 million as of December 31, 2013, primarily driven by net income for the quarter, proceeds from the Seadrill Partners equity offering, and a gain on our SapuraKencana investment, offset by dividends paid.
As of December 31, 2013, cash and cash equivalents were US$744 million, an increase of US$193 million compared to the previous quarter.
Net cash from operating activities for the twelve month period ended December 31, 2013 was US$1,696 million and net cash used in investing activities for the same period was US$2,964 million. Net cash provided by financing activities was US$1,694 million.