About 800 students missed the first hour of classes ...
About 800 students missed the first hour of classes at a Miramar elementary school Wednesday after an employee smelled gas in the cafeteria.
Annabel C. Perry Elementary School had no leak, but gas probably escaped a valve left open too long, said Broward County schools spokesman Joe Donzelli.
``You don't know so you have to err on the side of caution,'' Donzelli said.
The school, at 6850 SW 34th St., evacuated students who arrived before 7:45 a.m. and kept out others until 8:50 a.m.
Davie Fire Rescue determined that the cafeteria had too many pipes and fixtures to locate the leak, so school maintainence workers turned off the gas, said Battalion Chief Larry Burns. Both fire rescue and maintainence workers performed tests for leaks but found none, Donzelli said.